Thursday, February 15, 2007

Gadget based Darwins...

Engadget has an amazing news story about a tourist that nearly killed himself trying to retrieve a cellphone at Niagra falls, apparantly he dropped it then fell almost 200ft trying to get back to it. The full article can be found at engadget here.

So I've been sitting here at my desk wondering if there are any inanimate objects I'd risk my own life for. I'd rather see other people risking their lives to retrieve my stuff for me, but I'd likely still draw the line at some poor sap throwing himself over one of the world's biggest waterfalls just to go after my mobile phone. Unless it was somebody really irritating, like Rosie O'Donnell.

"you there... lackey! go and find my phone!"


My most prized gadget is probably my Ipod with it's vast and extremely personal music collection. Ever noticed how personal MP3 players are. Having lost an ipod in the past it was kind of like losing a limb.. or finding out that you've accidentally burned photo albums, all those play lists, rankings, entries and music which I didnt have backed up. It's taking ages to build up my new ipod, which isnt actually that new anymore! Best thing would be to buy two ipods, one in a vault back at home, one which travels, and then always sychronise them both at the same time, but given I've only ever lost an ipod once... touch wood... that's a bit of overkill.

That said, I still wouldnt hurl myself down a waterfall to get it if I dropped it. Now if you see the previous post about Emily Blunt... that's a different matter...

... actually who am I kidding, I'm far too shallow and selfish to risk my life like that!

No comments: